Thursday, February 18, 2010

haiku

I took a poetry class back in sophomore year taught by a wise man named Rick Benjamin; it was like water to a dry plant. Anyway, I kept writing over the years - nothing huge, just messing around with words when I found the time. Then a couple days ago I watched Tokyo Godfathers with a friend, and we noticed random haiku inserted in the movie. So then I thought I'd share some of my own as well, if you don't mind. The first's a poem I wrote for class way back, and the haiku aren't recent either, except maybe the last one:

Development of James Bay, c. 1971

Who knew
Electric bills were paid
with rivers silenced by concrete,
with fish pregnant of mercury,
giving birth to the end
of ancient Native voices?

Who knew
'development' meant
A France-sized ecosystem
Far older and wiser than her enemies
Could be flattened faster
Than we could say,
"Dam."



[ haiku ]

When both eyelids droop
And the nighttime cold steals in,
It is time to work.

Candy from babies
Taste the sweetest when stolen
To soothe our own cries.

We'll change history
by writing more poetry,
no more war stories.